GD Estoril Praia will be Portugals team in Gothia PUMA Trophy (B17)
In Portugal, 16 teams participated in the qualifications for this years Gothia PUMA Trophy. In the finals, this past weekend, GD Estoril Praia was the strongest team and will represent Portugal in the tournament in Gothenburg.
– They play a good quality football and I’m sure they’ll leave a nice impression in Gothia PUMA Trophy, Armando Lopes, Gothia Cups agent in Portugal, says.
This was the first time that qualifications for Gothia PUMA Trophy – Gothia Cups invitational tournament for seventeen year olds – was held in Portugal.
In may, 16 teams from different parts of the country participated in the qualifications and the four best teams advanced to the finals that was played this past weekend.
– The qualifications has been prepared and organized since november last year. There was a lot of time invested in this but it was all worth it since I was able to involve 16 teams in this new project, Armando Lopes says.
The finals lasted for two days in Castelo de Vide. The four teams all played against each other and the last game between GD Estoril Praia and AA Santarém decided the outcome.
– It was an excellent football game that was witnessed by more than 300 people. Both teams played high quality football and GD Estoril Praia defeated its opponent by 3-0.
The amount of people in the audience showed that the arrangement was a big success. Even the qualifications was viewed by many people, in Cascais for example, where the Lisbon qualifications was played, over 400 people was in the stands
– The qualifications, and the finals, had a great promotion both on the participants club sites and on social networks. Besides that, the families of the players had a big involvement since the beginning, some of them drove more than 300 kilometers to watch the finals, Armando Lopes says.
Another proof of the high quality of the arrangement was the referees.
– The referees, Nuno Roque, Ricardo Santos and Hugo Miguel, conducted the games in an exemplary manner and between them they have merits from the final in Champions League, the final in Euro 2012 and from the final in the Portuguese Cup, Armando Lopes says.
GD Estoril Praia is a club with long history, the club was formed more than 80 years ago. They have several appearances in the first Portuguese league and also in the Europa League in 2012/13. Currently they play in the 2ª Liga. For the first time the clubs seventeen year olds will participate in Gothia PUMA Trophy.
– Portugal will have a worthy representative for the first time in the B17 tournament this year at the Gothia Cup, Armando Lopes says.
This post is also available in: Svenska